1.11.15

Isolated, Lonesome and Inside Duster's Atmospheric Debut



While listening to an album released in 1998, which I happened to find just about a year ago (2014) - thanks to the internet - I thought, this is a great record. When I first listened to it, I was arrested by the same feelings that gripped me when I discovered some albums on the net, years ago. It is something different, yet somehow familiar, similar thoughts I had the first time I listened to The Radio Dept.'s Pet Grief and Andrew Bird's Armchair Apocrypha.

I'm talking about Duster's debut, Stratosphere. Genre-wise, their music doesn't sound anywhere near those of artist previously mentioned. The songs on Stratosphere, have the feels of, or rather would feel at home in a Grandaddy album, albeit with early-Pavement-ish production. Which is why, I probably liked them and still revisit them once in a while. The sound is comforting, even without the comfort of hooks and catchy choruses. The experience is like listening to math-indie stalwarts Tide/Edit, but without the tricky tempo changes and upbeat melodies. To cite an example, the song currently playing, called "The Queen Of Hearts" (heck, I even had to check that one, coz honestly, I haven't familiarized myself with each song's title yet), is a wordless, slow burning (or dragging) four minutes of repeated melodies. It's followed by a 19-second interlude, then by number, a little bit more upbeat, "Inside Out". Some of these also remind me a bit of Eggboy's early EPs. One may wonder, but unlike Tide/Edit, who plays purely wordless math-rock, Duster has a vocalist. This comparison was drawn, mainly because their songs also play on repetitions and because of the instrumentals. And while I am not googling now for the songs’ lyrics out of sheer laziness ("I was heading for the door" is all I can make out from them right now), I don't really care much whether or not their stories or sentiments are relatable to begin with. That the feelings the songs convey to me are, is enough for me to like them.
 
Duster's Stratosphere is among the many records I've discovered, mainly, out of curiosity. It was by this that I have gotten myself listening to Pet Grief and Armchair Apocrypha before. Albums that, sad to say, have receded into faded memories; songs which, I used to be fond of, but could afford to listen to, with only so much time. Albums in which, I could hardly remember now, a single title or melody, much a less a song. Hence, somehow, I'm afraid that Stratosphere might end up the same. It's weird, but I don't usually care or feel this way - must be the way the songs in Stratosphere flow, influencing the way I'm currently seeing (or not seeing) things. Or more precisely, the way the music drifts - like thoughts, old photographs and dusts floating, drifting in outer space. Like memories half-forgotten, half-remembered, in sepia tone, vaguely reconstructed and framed with blurred edges. Of memories that were probably fake and implanted. Like those of cyborgs and androids (and of idiots who still worship their idols, the unworthy politicians). I have a vague feeling that this album, with most of the things in this world, will end up being forgotten. I’m afraid that it would be. I’m worrying that in the future I’d wax nostalgic, for those lost beautiful melodies. Even if I'm revisiting it right now. Even though I know that there is a great album in there, waiting to be discovered.
 
 

With this anxiety set forth, that Stratosphere would end up like those albums, faded from memory. Somehow, I was comforted by the thought that I am listening to it now, with more reasons than just exploring a new discovery. That I'm listening to it right now as an imagined shared experience of isolation and lonesomeness. As if we’re floating in outer space, while falling deeper into inner space.  As if we’re sinking into the unfathomable abyss, drowning in the sea of thoughts. And in an instance, will be lost in time, and then found again. The past, present and future as one, the grammatical tense of the word, temporarily restrain. Until the next...Oh! I'm already fucking late for lunch.



* Duster is a space-rock band active from 1996-2001. Not to be confused with the all female group of same name.
** Tide/Edit is an indie quartet who plays math/post-rock. Their debut album can be found here.
*** Eggboy is an indie electronic artist. A compilation of his early works can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment